Pressed Felt (also known as Technical Felt, Industrial Felt, Fulled Felt, Woolfelt)
Is manufactured by blending, pressing, fulling and drying, to produce a non-woven homogenous mat of fibre, which can exhibit a wide variety of properties depending on the final hardness, thickness and blend of wool used in its make-up.
Our pressed felt is manufactured from 100% wool, and is made to conform with British Standard BS4060:2006 and German Standard Din 61200. Our pressed felt can also be cross referenced to the SAEF tables for American classification equivalents and also JIS standards used in Japan.
Our range is extensive but by no means exhaustive, and felt can be manufactured to to provide solutions for even the most challenging of situations Pressed Felt is known exhibit a number a key properties which makes it one of the most flexible natural textiles still in use around the world. Pressed Felt can be found in a limitless variety of industries and applications across a multitude of sectors. You may not see it but if it’s there, it’s there for good reason. Pressed Felt Makes it Work
1. A fibrous structure which can absorb and transmit fluids along capillary pathways and filter out solids or suspended liquids in gases (i.e. mists)
2. A homogenous structure in that, if the surface is removed, it is replaced by a similar face without fraying.
3. Resilience, ensuring excellent recovery of the material to its original dimensions after compression.
4. High energy absorption, enabling large amounts of vibration or sound energy to be dissipated.
5. Easily shaped by cutting or (in higher densities) machining and dimensionally stable in use, with minimum swelling and shrinking.
6. Operational over a wide temperature range. It maintains its properties over a range from -40 Celsius to +100 Celsius.
7. 100% wool felts exhibit self extinguishing properties and have a flash point over 450 Celsius.
Other properties include a good response to oxidation, ultra violet exposure (i.e. ageing) and non polar solvents. Wool felt offers a near constant coefficient of friction in both wet and dry conditions.
Our felts are available in the following grades: